Today, the estate can be found on the outskirts of Richelieu, a commune named in the Cardinal’s honour. It is a poignant reminder of the Cardinal’s aspirations, realised during his lifetime and bearing witness to the grandeur and power he commanded.
The Cardinal-Duke had all access to a similar level of facilities as Louis XIV later had at Versailles. Over time, the estate grew to encompass a small town, with the remains of which can still be admired in the park, including the ancient gardens, outbuildings,
The estate stands on the land where Richelieu spent his prime childhood. In 1631, Louis XIII, who was fortunate to have him as a trusted Prime Minister, had his seigneury declared duchy. The Cardinal began the construction of his castle there.
The estate was at the time a modest castle with a number of outbuildings, saw the construction of a significant architectural ensemble under the direction of Jacques Lemercier. The celebrates architect was responsible for the construction of the Chapel of the Sorbonne and the Oratory of the Louvre.
The construction of the Château ended in 1642. Unfortunately, the Cardinal’s vision was not fully realised as he passed away a few months before the project’s completion.
Following the Revolution of 1793, the Duke of Richelieu, a descendant of the original owner, relocated to Saint Petersburg. His property was subsequently seized and the premises were emptied of all their sumptuous furnishings. Some objects were sold,while others were donated to museums that were beginning to open. These pieces can now be admired in the Louvre, Versailles, and in the Fine Arts Museums in Tours and Orléans.
Lorsqu’en 1804, le domaine est restitué par Napoléon ler aux héritiers du cardinal, ceux-ci récupèrent un bien qui n’a plus rien à voir avec ce que leur illustre ancêtre avait mis sur pied. Le domaine, très endommagé, est plus tard acheté par le marchand de biens Alexandre Boutron, qui, c’est hélas tristement commun à l’époque, utilise le château comme véritable carrière de pierre. Il morcèle également le parc, dont il vend une partie à Monsieur Laurence en 1852. Ce dernier y fait construire une grande demeure, surnommée aujourd’hui le
Pavillon du Plessis.
En 1877, le domaine revient à la famille de Richelieu grâce à Michel Heine, banquier parisien et beau-père du 7ème duc de Richelieu, qui entreprend alors de le remettre en état. En 1952, le dernier duc de Richelieu meurt sans descendance. Il lègue le domaine à l’Université de Paris, en souvenir du Cardinal qui fut
Proviseur et Rénovateur de la Sorbonne.
Aujourd’hui propriété de la Chancellerie des Universités de Paris, le domaine est composé d’une vaste forêt, de canaux, d’un parc, des vestiges du château de Richelieu et de rares édifices: l’hémicycle d’honneur, le pavillon du manège (dit le «
Dôme »), la plateforme du château, l’orangerie et la grotte de bacchus. Ces éléments, qui témoignent de la grandeur de ce qui fût, sont protégés au titre des monuments historiques.
The estate was built with the idea of an ideal city as its model, integrated with the town of Richelieu in a manner that reflects the Duke’s vision of political engagement.
A number of architects and landscape architects, including Jacques Lemercier and the Brühler brothers, were involved in the construction and maintenance of the estate.